Posted by sean on September 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm in Bath City with No Comments

Football is an expensive and time consuming hobby; especially when you attend both home and away games – there are times when your commitment is questioned.

This was the case on Saturday morning. After a long week at work, I was awoken early by my alarm. I was due at Twerton Park in under an hour, to make the long coach trip to Bishop’s Stortford (near Essex). For the first time in a long while, I couldn’t be bothered to go, but being a dedicated fan, heaved myself from under the warm duvet into the cold bedroom to get ready to leave.

I could have happily made myself a coffee and bacon roll, before sitting on the sofa and spending the morning listening to The Danny Baker Show and Fighting Talk on FiveLive; but I battled on and left my flat for my weekly pilgrimage to watch Bath City.

After yet another coach journey along the all too familiar M4 motorway, we arrived at the Woodspring Stadium. Unlike in Bath, it was a lovely summer’s day, and I was able to purchase a pint to drink outside by the pitch – a rare treat in this league. Besides being chased by a wasp and buying a rather unpleasant burger (a risk you have to take as a football fan), the day was going well.

Things got better still upon kickoff; City going 2-0 up early on. In typical Bath City fashion, things were never simple, and Stortford pulled one back to make it 2-1. This prompted Mike Yorke, the always pessimistic City supporter to inform me “We’re going to lose 4-2 now” – we’re doomed!

The second half was even better than the first. City struck early again, making it 3-1 and putting the game beyond reasonable doubt. The goal must have angered the locals, as some cockney wideboy who had drank one too many Panda Pops came staggering over behind the goal where the City fans were congregated. Luckily, he was very pleasant to us and had walked over to give his own goalkeeper a piece of his mind (and some good old-fashioned Essex abuse).

The insults hurled at the goalie didn’t do much to inspire confidence in the shot-stopper, who allowed Bath City to get a fourth goal, making it 4-1. By this stage, the Stortford fan had given up on his team and was celebrating with the jubilant travelling fans.

Stortford were awarded a penalty, which Charlie Sheringham, son of Teddy, kindly missed. City then wrapped up the game by netting a fifth.

One of the longest trips I will have to make this season, but I don’t regret making it for one minute, seeing as I probably won’t see such an emphatic win from City all season.

I was so pleased, I even treated myself to a celebratory coffee from the dodgy burger bar, for the journey home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

No trackbacks yet.

Posts with similar tags

No post with similar tags yet.

Posts in similar categories

  • About Me

    So you stumbled across my blog. No doubt after searching for something bizarre on Google. Before you hit that 'Back Button', why not stay and have a read for a few minutes?

    If you are after a website which gives advice on how to hack an iPhone X, download the latest Steven Seagal movie, or view nudy ladies, you've come to the wrong place and may now press 'Back'.

    However, if you would like a lifestyle blog, written by a 30-something chap, living in Bath (England), feast your eyes on this.

    You won't discover how to copy PlayStation 4 games. What you will find is a blog, covering life in the West Country, the highs and lows of supporting two unsuccessful football teams, while sharing a house with a wife and rabbit.

    All written by a man, somewhere on the sanity-scale between normal and eccentric.
  • Archives